Denise Flasz

Hello! My name is Denise Flasz, I was born in Caracas, Venezuela but I currently live in NYC. I got my BFA in illustration at the Instituto de Diseño de Caracas,and then I decided to do an MFA in Multimedia design at the Centro de diseño digital. After all this college experience and some freelancing I worked for almost two years in a Visual Communication enterprise named Oruga Films, where I can say that I learned many of the things I now know and also gained a lot of experience in what professional work and team work matters. Since I was in college I new I wanted to grow bigger and achieve many goals in life, and for this I knew that if I wanted to do great I had to attend a great school, so I applied and of course choose Parsons New School of Design. For me it was really hard to pick what I wanted to do in this school, and what kind of major I wanted to get involved into, because many things seemed so valuable and incredible interesting that it was really hard to make up my mind, and that's when I saw the DT program and how wide it was, and started projecting and realizing how much I could achieve from this major and how good it was going to be for me.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prototypes-TRASHMAN *roll*

















There are no garbage disposals due to terrorists attempts to put bombs inside the trash cans. Because of this, people find it very disturbing to walk for two blocks just to find a trash can to deposit their trash, for consequence they just “forget it “ right next to the fountain, inside the fountain or in the floor.

The owner of the place obviously prefers to pay a trash picking company to clean the plaza instead of risking everyone’s lives because of insecurity. But the fact is that because people come and go at a really fast pace after only few minutes everything is messy again.

After observing people behaviors and their performances with a trash bag, a cup or the remains of a sandwich, we realized this was one of our main targets if we wanted to make it a better place.

We also found out that their space lacked of artistic performance or attractions for the people that liked to sit there while having something to eat or just relax, we figured out that maybe by adding more attraction the population flow would become more stable. So was there a brilliant idea waiting to be discovered of how to interact with people and give them something to talk about or triangulate, we don’t know yet, but we came out with an idea that seems to fit this purposes and promises a lot of attention and good deed.

This idea consists of a wire-made statue that could represent any shape, in this case we decided to try a man shape to give the idea of a more familiar figure and friendly art, which will eventually have holes produced by the interlaced wires. This statue is going to be standing up in a rolling base and it will lift a sign that says: ”Make me pretty, your trash here”. So yes, it would have the role of a trashcan.

Our Hypothesis is that people would be confused by this message, because it will seem really awkward to throw garbage at what seems to be an art installation, but this confusion will lead them to curiosity which would also lead them to interact and ask questions about it. After the first brave person comes ad deposits his or her trash on the sculpture wires holes then the next one would come and do the same, hopefully by the end people will start seeing the sculpture shape and decorate it with their trash as they walk by as if they were doing a trash man instead of a snow man. Throwing their trash would seem like a fun activity.

Our research on this place and our common sense tell us that people like to stuck their garbage in little places, the smaller the better, so finding a legal hole and participating in this project we predict is going to work really good, and best of all is going to maintain the plaza clean!.

No comments: