Denise Flasz

Hello! My name is Denise Flasz, I was born in Caracas, Venezuela but I currently live in NYC. I got my BFA in illustration at the Instituto de Diseño de Caracas,and then I decided to do an MFA in Multimedia design at the Centro de diseño digital. After all this college experience and some freelancing I worked for almost two years in a Visual Communication enterprise named Oruga Films, where I can say that I learned many of the things I now know and also gained a lot of experience in what professional work and team work matters. Since I was in college I new I wanted to grow bigger and achieve many goals in life, and for this I knew that if I wanted to do great I had to attend a great school, so I applied and of course choose Parsons New School of Design. For me it was really hard to pick what I wanted to do in this school, and what kind of major I wanted to get involved into, because many things seemed so valuable and incredible interesting that it was really hard to make up my mind, and that's when I saw the DT program and how wide it was, and started projecting and realizing how much I could achieve from this major and how good it was going to be for me.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

What from “Making Comics” chapter 4 helped you with your photo self portrait series?

Actually some of the information in that chapter seemed obvious, I learned some of those things in my old school, but I also found pretty interesting on how you can actually tell a story of a background or someone just by selecting details, like in Japanese Manga,
I tried to do that with my narrative, for example with my body showing the pictures and the color of my skin as well as my features you can perfectly tell how my body looks like, in the objects I tried to tell the story by taking pictures of the things that surround me right now so in this case you can see the narrative of my life and the things I am into right now.
In the background pictures I tried to position the camera window as wide as possible so I could place the viewer in my world and give him as much information about it as possible , bringing him into it.

The good thing about my photo self-portrait series is that they don’t follow an order, they can be placed and mixed up again and they’ll just tell and introduce myself as an interface to whoever is seeing them.

In this chapter, they also suggested that we shouldn’t at some point leave margin, that it was good to open the window and then bleed the image so that we could leave more to the imagination, and for more sensitivity of being inside that picture to the viewer if we close what we see in a frame, then we are basically telling the reader that that’s it , there is no more to it ,what you see its what you got!. That’s one of the reasons I also tried to bleed a lot if not mostly of my photos. One of the other things that I forgot to mention is the depth of field, I applied that to make my frames more interesting.

No comments: